Western Michigan University's elementary professional education program includes coursework and experiences leading to a Michigan K-8 certification. If you choose this major, you will take courses in language arts, mathematics, science and social studies. You will be required to minor in at least two of these subjects.
WMU's elementary education program will provide you with:
- The opportunity to be part of a program cohort where support and guidance are made available.
- Ample opportunity to work with children in our public schools, grades K-8.
- A part-time pre-internship where you will work with mentor teachers two full days a week.
- A full-time internship that will be your culminating teaching experience.
- The development of an electronic portfolio to represent professional expertise and experience.
Beyond the classroom
As an elementary education student at WMU, you will be required to complete a full-semester internship under the mentorship of selected teachers in partnership schools and teacher educators from WMU. The internship is designed to prepare you not only for your role as a classroom teacher, but as a professional studying your own teaching practice, participating in site-based decision making and coordinating your work with teachers and other members of the school community. Both school and University faculty will work closely together to support and assist you as you progress through the semester.
You can also gain valuable networking and professional development opportunities through student and community organizations, including the Student Education Association, Bigs on Campus, Kappa Delta Pi, the Michigan Education Association and the National Education Association.
After you graduate
Recent WMU graduates with degrees in elementary education are working as:
- Teachers in kindergarten through eighth grade
- Educational administrators
- Curriculum specialists
- Athletic coaches
- Community program directors
Among the organizations they work for are:
- Health clubs
Where is this program offered?
Other programs of interest
- Child and Family Development
- Early Childhood Professional Education
- Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher Education
- Health Education: Community
- Health Education: School
- Secondary Education
- Secondary Integrated Science Education
- Special Education: Learning Disabilities/Cognitive Impairments—Elementary
- Special Education: Learning Disabilities/Cognitive Impairments—Secondary
- Special and Elementary Education: Learning Disabilities and Emotional Impairments K-12
- Special Education: Learning Disabilities/Emotional Impairments—Secondary