WMU’s entrepreneurship program focuses on the creation of economic and social value by developing core capabilities of idea generation, opportunity recognition, resource acquisition and entrepreneurial management. As an entrepreneurship student, you will learn to shape entrepreneurial opportunities and assess financial feasibility. You'll have the opportunity to form teams, construct business models, interact with partners and customers, assess feasibility and, in some cases, launch a new venture or initiative.
WMU’s entrepreneurship major will provide you with the opportunity to gain skills and competencies that are vital for the success of any business or organization. You will take courses from multiple disciplines in the Haworth College of Business, including management, finance, marketing, business information systems and accounting. These classes will allow you to understand how new business ideas and new companies develop, and to possibly start your own company.
Your major coursework will culminate in the selection of one of three capstone courses to integrate your entrepreneurship education into your future plans.
- Students who plan to begin or continue their careers in family-owned businesses may enroll in family business management (MGMT 4340).
- Students who will join small businesses may enroll in small business management (MGMT 3140).
- Students who have created a business concept they want to further develop may enroll in the entrepreneurship practicum (MGMT 4380).
Beyond the classroom
You may greatly enhance your experience in the entrepreneurship program by getting involved in the Entrepreneur Club; attending talks by guest speakers in the Entrepreneurship Forum; working in Starting Gate, the WMU student business accelerator; and competing in business plan and pitch competitions throughout the state of Michigan and across the nation.
After you graduate
The skills gained from the work performed in the entrepreneurship major will lead students to either:
- Work for a startup.
- Start their own company.
- Work for their family business.
Where is this program offered?
Other programs of interest
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Information Systems
- Computer Science
- Engineering Design Technology
- Engineering Management Technology
- Industrial and Entrepreneurial Engineering
- Integrated Supply Management
- Interior Design
- Manufacturing Engineering Technology
- Recreation: Recreation Management
- Recreation: Sport Management
- Sales and Business Marketing
- Fashion Design and Development
- Fashion Merchandising