Western Michigan University is a premier, comprehensive, public research university. The success of the Department of Accountancy is due to the wisdom and foresight of the faculty in pursuing academic excellence through innovative approaches to learning, discovery and service.
- In 1957, the Department of Accountancy was established in the school of business, now the Haworth College of Business.
- In 1964, the Master of Science in Accountancy program was added to the accountancy.
- The college was granted American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business accreditation in 1970.
- The Department of Accountancy became independently accredited through the AASCB beginning in April of 1999. Today, the Haworth College of Business is among an elite group of less than five percent of business schools worldwide that are accredited at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. It is among a select one percent of business schools worldwide that have additional specialized accreditation for their accountancy programs.
- As one of the first departments in the Haworth College of Business, the Department of Accountancy has been a part of pioneering the tradition of business education excellence at WMU.