History

Photo of WMU's East Hall

  • In 1957, the Western Michigan University Department of Accountancy was established in the school of business, now the Haworth College of Business.
  • In 1964, the Master of Science in Accountancy program was added to the accountancy.
  • The college was granted American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business accreditation in 1970.
  • The Department of Accountancy became independently accredited through the AASCB beginning in April of 1999. Today, the Haworth College of Business is among an elite group of less than 5 percent of business schools worldwide that are accredited at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. It is among a select 2 percent of business schools worldwide that have additional specialized accreditation for their accountancy programs.
  • As one of the first departments in the Haworth College of Business, the Department of Accountancy has been a part of pioneering the tradition of business education excellence at WMU.