Looking for the best university from which to obtain your accounting degree? Known for its proven track record and rigor, the accounting program at Western Michigan University is dedicated to preparing you for a rewarding career in accountancy. This top program is among the one percent of business schools worldwide with additional specialized AACSB accreditation for accounting.
What can you expect as an accounting major? A challenging course curriculum and the finest faculty, giving you a solid background in business practices to launch your career in public accounting, financial planning, consulting and beyond. Your accounting degree will help you interpret the stories behind the numbers in any business—an invaluable skill for any job.
Potential employers value hands-on, real-world experience. Accounting internships provide practical experience with accounting firms and businesses, giving you a competitive edge after you graduate with an accounting B.B.A. degree. Additionally, many students are actively involved in a variety of honor societies and University business clubs, including Beta Alpha Psi. Through these organizations you will establish professional contacts and participate in a wealth of career-enhancing programs.
96% of new graduates report that their first job is related to their accounting degree, with 100% job satisfaction.
Organizations that employ our students include:
Accounting degree coursework
All WMU accountancy majors are required to complete 30 hours of accountancy credits as part of the bachelor degree in accounting. Consult information about the accountancy major in the WMU catalog.
- ACTY 2000—Careers in Accounting
- ACTY 2100—Principles of Accounting I
- ACTY 2110—Principles of Accounting II
- ACTY 3100—Financial Accounting I
- ACTY 3220—Managerial Accounting
- ACTY 3240—Introductory Tax Accounting
- ACTY 3110—Financial Accounting II
- ACTY 3130—Accounting Information Systems
- ACTY 4160—Auditing
Two electives required:
- ACTY 4110—Advanced Accounting
- ACTY 4140—Governmental and Nonprofit Accounting
- ACTY 4220—Cost Accounting – Theory and Practice
- ACTY 4240—Advanced Tax Accounting
- ACTY 4130—Advanced Accounting Systems
If you have questions or concerns related to accounting degree requirements or you seek career advising, contact:
Dr. Ola Smith
Office: 3196 Schneider | (269) 387-5209
Email Ola Smith