Skip To Nav

Site-specific menu

Frequently Asked Questions

for Accounts Receivable and Cashiering

Select the area of questions you would like to view. Click on the question to display the answer.

Refund Questions

Q. How often are Financial Aid credit balances refunded?

AnswerFinancial Aid refunds are processed regularly. Most Financial Aid payments greater than your account balance will be refunded to you.  Students can sign up for electronic refunds (eRefunds) and the refund will be deposited into a checking or savings account.  Electronic refunds are processed several times per week. Refund check are generally cut once a week and will be mailed to the student if the student is not signed up for electronic refunds and does not live in the dorms.  Students living in the dorms must pick up their check at Bronco Express located in G09 of the Bernhard Student Center. Western ID is required for pick up. A refund check will be made to the parent if it was created from a PLUS (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students) payment and the parent borrower requested the refund.

Q. How often are other credit balances refunded?

Answer Refunds are processed regularly. However, during the first two weeks of each semester/session all overpayments and credit balances will be refunded after the drop/add period. eRefunds are processed more frequently than checks.

If the credit balance is created from an overpayment made by check or electronic check, the refund will not be processed for at least twenty (20) business days to allow time for the check payment to clear the bank.

If the credit balance results from a credit card payment, the credit card will be refunded.

Refunds can either be directly deposited to a personal bank account or mailed to you. If you have signed up for electronic refunds on line, your refund will be deposited into your checking or savings account. After the refund is posted to the student account, please allow 3-5 business days for a refund to be processed. If you have not signed up for electronic refunds, and live in Western Michigan University dorms, you must pick your check up from the Bronco Express Service Team located in Room G09 of the Bernhard Center.  Refund checks for students who are not living in the dorms will be mailed to your local address.

All Parent Plus loans which create a credit balance on a student account that are to be refunded to the parent, will be refunded by a check issued to the parent.

Q. How do I enroll for electronic refunds?

Answer Signing up for electronic refunds (eRefunds) will allow the student account refunds to be deposited directly into your checking or saving account.

Sign up on line at Under the Student Home tab, Select Payment and Account Information. Select My Profiles and then Payment Profiles. Then Add or Select the Refund Payment Method.

If your parent is a PLUS (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students) borrower and has requested the excess funds be refunded to them, they will receive a refund check.

Q. Who do I contact if I lost a refund check or did not receive a mailed refund check?

Answer Stop in or call Bronco Express. The Bronco Express (BEST) office is located on the ground floor in the Bernhard Center, room G09. You can contact them via phone at (269) 387-6000.