It’s spring time!

Hillel freshman and me at the chinese shabbat!

Hey Broncos!

It’s been a busy and exciting couple of weeks since break ended! Last week we had Hillel elections. I ran for president against one other student. After an intense election, and an hour of nervousness, it was announced that I won. It feels great to know all my hard work as our vice president and treasurer paid off. I am so excited for another year of Hillel!

That night, we had a Shabbat dinner on campus. We catered in from Spice and Rice, a popular Chinese restaurant right off campus. Chinese is always a popular event, and close to 70 students came! It’s always exciting when Hillel programs are large. As usual, we saw a lot of returning students, but we are continuing to see new students each time.

I am really excited about all the opportunities that are coming up for Hillel. I am in the beginning stages of planning a Passover Seder. The Seder will take place at Sigma Phi Epsilon, a social fraternity near campus. I am really excited for this to happen because we have not done a lot of collaboration with the Greek community in the past. We think this will target a lot of Greek students and we are really excited about it! We are excited about hosting a Seder because it will allow Jewish students to celebrate Passover here in Kalamazoo rather than drive home or skip the holiday all together.

I am excited for this afternoon as well. A few of us from our executive board will be meeting with a couple of administrators and some Hillel staff from Michigan State University to talk more about purchasing a house for Hillel near campus. It would be an amazing opportunity for Hillel, because we would have a place to call our own and always be guaranteed a place to programming. My fingers are crossed that the meeting will go well!

In other news, really exciting things are going on for my sorority. Yesterday, I won an award called “Up and Coming Leader of the Year” award for the Greek community. My sorority sisters and I are really excited about it. This week is Greek Week, a week of competitions for all Greeks in social sororities and fraternities.  We are hoping we win some of the competitions. I’m off to enjoy this beautiful weather!

It’s a GREAT day to be a Bronco,

Erin