Happy Hanukkah from WMU!

Happy Hanukkah Broncos!

Campus feels somewhat empty because winter break starts today. I can’t wait to go home tomorrow because Sunday is my family’s Hanukkah party. Hanukkah was over two weeks ago, but I couldn’t go home, so instead, Hillel had a Hanukkah party. We played Hanukkah music and played with driedels and had gelt. Dr. Anderson, our Vice President of Student Affairs, lit the Hanukkah candles with our eboard while we said the blessings over the candles. Almost 50 students attended! It was great. We even showed a short youtube video about the story of Hanukkah to educate anyone who was not familiar with the meaning behind the holiday. Below is a link to the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iabKeVmYc5A

Its an unique opportunity being Jewish on a campus such as ours. Every single day, I am given the opportunity to educate non Jewish students, faculty, and administration about Judaism. In turn, I am learning so much about cultures other than my own. I was able to celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah at school because my sorority decorated our house with both menorahs and wreaths/Christmas trees. During some of the nights of Hanukkah, I went to friend’s houses to light candles.

I even gave my bosses driedels and gelt as a holiday gift. It is so cool being able to educate my friends about Hanukkah and Judaism. My favorite part of Hillel is the way we serve as an education piece on campus.

Well, I better go pack to go home for almost a month. Have a fun and safe holiday, Broncos!

It’s a great day to be a Bronco,
Erin