Friday, April 8th — 1 Week Until Opening Night

Been quite the week!

CHECK IT OUT!

We officially open Black Comedy next Thursday– we’ve moved into Tech Week now and have been working 7-midnight each night. Last night was even longer because we had a 6 pm makeup call. It was so fun though– my dressing room inspiration is Aunt B from Andy Griffin, so the costumers picked a nice little reference picture for me to hang so I stay on track when dressing. We haven’t gotten our wigs yet, but I’ve gone in for my final costume fittings. I’m in a girdle which is really weird, but they’re hand-dying my shoes. I’m very demure in comparison to the other girls in Black Com– I’m pretty sure Andi’s in go-go boots and a mini skirt.

Earlier this week, Mark wanted us to reconnect with what it’s like being in the dark. It’s easy to fall into the habits that you’ve learned as you block the show, so he had us all blindfolded. It. Was. So. Hard. Since we’re so intensely physical, it was tough! But it was fun learning once again how we actually would react in those circumstances.

I’m so excited to see the audience’s reaction– especially for our transition into Intermission. I can’t release details right now, but it’s going to be SO COOL. I hope you come and see for yourself. :)

That isn’t to say that we’re not having difficulties. Some of the set pieces don’t mesh well with the physical blocking we’ve planned, so we’ll have to switch it up a little. Our sister-show, meanwhile, seems to be having a lot of fun as well….but we Black Comedy actors have a few more bruises than they do. Our farce is definitely physical and hilarious.

So the weekend begins in a half an hour. Rehearsal 7-midnight, and then up early for our WMU Open House. Then, on Sunday, I’m volunteering at a Canine Safety shelter for a communications project….and then, FIRST DRESS REHEARSAL! It’ll be quite the weekend!

Also, cool quote from Professor Jim Daniels (acting prof) on why being trained in the theatre is so important: “Doing commercials and movies and television is important and valid; you’ll probably try it all. But being trained on the stage– working on the stage, and doing it well– is so important. The stage actor is the aristocrat of the craft. He must learn to wear that aristocracy, and to fill up the space with his power.”