Beautiful Barcelona!

This past weekend I was very, very blessed to be able to visit Barcelona with five of my friends. It’s such a beautiful city, and I really, really enjoyed my time there.

On Thursday night, we took a bus from Burgos and arrived in Barcelona around 8 on Friday morning. First stop: the Barcelona Cathedral, where, at first, the guard wouldn’t let us enter the church! We finally realized that we needed to be wearing more church-appropriate clothing; tank tops and shorts weren’t going to work. So, all six of us girls stood the steps of the cathedral, rummaging through our backpacks to find pants, skirts, and jackets to wear inside and pulling them over what we were already wearing. Meanwhile, the guard was watching us and trying so hard not to laugh – I think we made sure he had a memorable day!

Next, we went to the Picasso Museum. It wasn’t as impressive as we had hoped, but we were able to see many of Picasso’s early works as well as his famous interpretation of Velazquez’s “Las Meninas”.

Later that afternoon, my friend Bryleigh and I decided to visit the Casa Batlló, designed and constructed by leading Modernist architect Antoni Gaudí. (If you don’t know who Gaudí is, please look him up – his work is amazing and all over Barcelona!) The house displays so much creativity and attention to detail, and it’s impossible to describe it in words. It’s incredible to think that it was constructed in the early 1900s.

outside

We spent the night at a hostel that was only five blocks from the Mediterranean Sea!! After going to the beach to watch the sunset on Friday night, we decided to go back on Saturday morning – it’s not every day that you can wake up and go for a swim in the Mediterranean!

We started off that day by going to see La Sagrada Familia, a famous cathedral that is Gaudí’s masterpiece. Once again, words can’t do it justice.

After the cathedral, we visited Parc Güell, a park designed by Gaudí that overlooks the city.

After all of that, we were pretty tired, so we spent the rest of the afternoon at Las Ramblas, which is the main stretch of historic Barcelona and a pedestrian mall with lots of shops.

At the end of the day, we boarded the bus to Burgos and returned home around 4 a.m. on Sunday. It was an eventful but wonderful weekend – I’m so glad I went!!