Friday, September 7th–

Today is one of the most exciting days of the Fall Semester– Bronco Bash! :D Basically, all of Campus and Kalamazoo come together to kick off the year the right way, with plenty of awesome free goodies. It looks like rain, but I’m definitely going anyay!

So, the summer flew by. I took a second summer class, and at the end of August, began rehearsals for “Three Musketeers.” We had eight-hour rehearsals with Fight and Combat Choreographer Nate Mitchell, who basically gave the cast a four-day crash course in sword-fighting and hand-to-hand combat; at night, we’d do blocking and lines with the marvelous D. Terry Williams, our director. It’s been a challenge, but I’m proud to say I now know my way with a sword (after a solid sixteen hours of working with them, hehe)! While my characters dont pick up a sword in-show, I have to know the choreography of the fighters for my own acting….but I don’t want to give anything away!

The show is going to be wonderful. Already, the ladies are discovering the difficulty of working in corsets, but this show is particularly challenging. Unlike “Cure for Love” or “She Stoops to Conquer,” where the women weren’t expected to do anything too crazy in those corsets, this show has us dropping to our knees and flying backwards with punches, lunging and thrusting– not exactly easy in a corset! We’ve kept the Costume Shop quite busy these past few days, re-stitching and reinforcing our corsets. Mine has split twice as I fling around during battle….makes for some laughs! :D

Other than that, the year is off to a great start. :)

I’ll post again later this week!

Yours,
Sara