Viajes, trabajo y diversión

Hello from beautiful Spain!

I had yet another wonderful opportunity to travel this past weekend. My friend Bryleigh and I took a very relaxing trip to Santander, a city on the northern coast of Spain, which is only about 2.5 hours from Burgos by bus. (WMU actually has a summer study abroad program in Santander, too.) The weather could not have been any nicer, the views were absolutely amazing, and going to the beach was awesome. I was so thankful to spend a weekend in such a beautiful place with such a great friend!

Also, I’m starting a new job this week: I’ll be giving English lessons to two kids, ages 5 and 8, who live in Burgos. Essentially, I have to pretend I don’t know Spanish at all and play with kids for a couple hours a week, speaking only in English (shouldn’t be too hard, right?). Their parents really want them to be exposed to speaking and listening to English – there’s a huge demand for this type of English lessons here. I think I’m really going to enjoy this opportunity!

Last night I had the chance to play basketball with some of my friends from church. I learned a bunch of new vocabulary words and had a ton of fun! I think one indication that my Spanish is improving is that now I’m able to “trash talk” and joke around about who’s going to win. :) I’m grateful for new friends and constant opportunities to work on my language skills.

Oh, and I have some exciting news: my mom is coming to visit me later this week!!! I can’t wait! I’ll definitely keep you updated on our time together and on our travels. :)

Hasta luego,

Mandi