American politics: A perspective from overseas

You might be tired of hearing about politics and the election right now. To tell you the truth, I am, too, and I’m not even in the US!

From afar, it seems like this election season has been pretty crazy. Here in Spain, many people are following the election, and it’s amazing to me how much they know about the United States and about what’s going on in the world. If I were in the US while Spain was having elections, I would have no clue that anything was happening.

Although I’m not a huge fan of politics in general, I did send in my absentee ballot a couple of weeks ago. I consider it a privilege to be able to vote, and since I have this right, I’m going to exercise it, even if I’m on the other side of the world during the election.

Yesterday one of my friends and I were invited to teach a class at the university about how American politics work. It was a little intimidating to get up in front of about 30 students, a couple professors, and several reporters, and explain the election process and our political system all in SPANISH. Yep, that’s right, we taught an hour and a half class on American politics in another language.

There were some questions from the audience that we didn’t completely understand, and some concepts (like the electoral college) were difficult to explain to people from another culture and in another language. However, it was a very valuable experience overall, and I’m so glad I participated.

Today we discovered we were on the front page of the paper, along with a giant photo of us! If you’d like to read the article and can read in Spanish, here’s the link:

http://www.diariodeburgos.es/noticia/Z431CEF2B-926A-0401-6DE19B7712596408/20121106/examen/casa/blanca

Happy voting!