“Esta chica nunca para.”

Translation: “This girl never stops.” That’s what Marisol, my host mom said about me last week, and it’s true - I’ve been pretty busy lately! Between my classes, teaching high school English, giving English lessons to two kids, various church activities, and time with friends, my days fill up quickly.

On Friday I had the opportunity to travel to Bilbao, a city located about 2 hours from Burgos, with my good friend Hannah. We had a great time on the bus there,  spending time with a friend who lives in Bilbao, visiting the Guggenheim art museum, and exploring the city with friends.

Hannah and me in front of the Guggenheim museum

After thinking about what Marisol said (and also because I had been feeling VERY tired in the last couple weeks), I decided that I probably have been doing too much. I’m trying to learn how to rest and fully, completely enjoy each moment I have here in Spain.

It’s incredible to think that I have less than a month left in Burgos. While I’m so looking forward to seeing my family and friends again, I will REALLY miss this beautiful city and the people I’ve gotten to know here. In the past few days I’ve been thinking a lot about this and trying to make the most of every opportunity I have here. I’ve been going for long walks around the city, hanging out with my Spanish friends, and trying to cross off as many things as possible from my list of things to do before I leave. Sometimes I don’t even want to think about it!

The other day as I was thinking about having to leave and how much I love this city, I was sitting up near the castle, looking out at the city (one of my favorite views), and I decided to draw a picture of the cathedral in my journal.

My view of the city from the castle
Burgos – “Parte de mi corazón quedará aquí para siempre”
(Part of my heart will stay here forever)

While it’s true that I have to leave sooner than I’d like to, I know that this city and this study abroad trip have changed my life for the better in more ways than I can imagine.

One of the biggest changes I’ve noticed is the way my Spanish has improved since I arrived. My host sister told me that I speak MUCH better than I used to, one Spanish friend told me that sometimes she forgets I’m American when we’re talking, and another Spanish friend told me that if I don’t pass my language class he’s going to have to talk to the professor!!

I’m soooo glad this study abroad experience is paying off, not only in language skills but also in the amount I have learned about the world and about myself and in the quality of the friendships I have made. Every time I reflect, I can’t help but feel super blessed.