The Student Ambassador Life

One of my favorite things about being a student ambassador at Western is working our big events throughout the year. Some of the things that we host include: Open Houses, Spotlights, the Medallion Scholarship Competition, and the Multicultural Leadership Scholarship Competition. We work the events on Fridays and Saturdays, and are, of course, paid to do so! It is a lot of fun. These events usually are from about 7am to 4pm, so as a side effect of being together all day long, you get to know your coworkers very well!

The large event we worked this past Saturday was the last of the two Medallion Scholarship Competition days. The Medallion Scholarship Program offers students who: apply to WMU by December of their senior year, have a 3.7 GPA or higher, and received a 27 on their ACT or higher, to come and compete for a $50,000 scholarship to Western. The students do an essay and a group problem solving activity.

Student ambassadors do everything from greeting and check in, to giving tours and student panels, to assisting with departmental workshops! I started off my day bright and early at 7:00 am (which is really early for college students) and checked in competitors. Then, I walked students to different buildings for them to complete their essay-writing portion. Lastly, I served on a panel for parents of the competitors, and they asked questions about what it is like to be a student in the Lee Honors College. It is such an enjoyable experience for me because I was in the students’ shoes just a few years ago, competing for the Medallion too!

I took a few photos while I was working to put up on here, just for fun. Having a blast!

With Bronco Love,

Jazz

They were so nice and cheery, smiling for the camera at 7am!

These are our office graduate assistants, aren't they wonderful?

We figured out how to make a W, bronco pride!

We figured out how to make a W, Bronco pride!