Whether the Weather be Cold…

“Whether the weather be cold, whether the weather be hot, we’ll be together whatever the weather, whether we like it or not.”

The quote above was a little something I learned during my high school theater days. It was a tongue twister used right before a performance to get us to accentuate consonants when speaking on stage. Though I haven’t used it in years, this little play on words was running through my head earlier today when I was thinking about the weather that we have been experiencing.

I just returned from Chicago where I spent my spring break. It was rather rainy and quite cold while I was there. Upon my return to Kalamazoo, I found that the weather here is rainy also, but rather warm in comparison.

Today on my way to class I donned a windbreaker instead of my usual parka, and strode out into the slightly chilled damp air with optimism. Yes, it may still be winter, and there may still be snow to come, but I doubt that we will see snow like we had seen in January and February. That was dreadful.

Spring is coming. It may only be a whisper, but I am starting to hear her sweet melodic voice. Soon enough birds of all kinds will be perched on balconies and budding trees. It will be wonderful to get that sweet spring sensation when I sniff at the air and notice its new fragrances.

I am certain that spring is on her way…and I can’t wait to see her.