Semester’s End

I am not sure what your job does when the school semester ends, but my job goes out with a bang.

Every year in the spring of the final semester, the Student Ambassador Office throws a fantastic banquet to commemorate its seniors and thank its employees.

The upper room of the Bernhard Center is transformed into a brown and gold paradise with elegant centerpieces and a photo station. Memories from the year flash by on the projector screen and laughs sprinkle the room as embarrassing but humorous pictures pop up. Employees crowd the book table, in an anxious rush to fill out comments or sign their names in the senior books. All such a wonderful snapshot of the office is all about and what it stands for.

This year was particularly sentimental, as seniors that I am rather close to gave their tear-filled farewells to their fellow employees in heartfelt speeches. The only thing I could think to myself was how sad it’s going to be for me to stand on the stage next year and utter my goodbyes. Tears rose up in my eyes as I thought about it while sitting at a large round table with all of my friends.

The office will certainly be something to miss. Though it can often times be chaotic, it’s a place of love and of fond and pleasant memories. It taught me discipline and helped me to build on my character. It ripened me from a bashful yet curious young freshman to an outspoken and confident senior. I never thought the office would bring me so far. Its employees have been friends of mine who cradle my heart in woeful times, and brighten my spirit in times of joy. I couldn’t ask for anything more from the office than the wonderful pleasures that it has given me. It has opened doors, and built bridges, and made things the best they could be for me, and I don’t want to lose that. I will be sad to see it go, but I have got one more year to hang on to its wonder, and I don’t intend to waste it.