Happy Freedom Day!

It seems to be that the theme of this summer is “The Summer of Firsts”. First apartment, first 9 to 5 job, first summer in Kalamazoo, and what we’re going to talk about in this post: the first summer without my parents on the 4th of July.  I have a pretty large extended family – there are about 40 of us and counting – and each year the week after Christmas and 4th of July weekend, we always get together. Unfortunately this year, many of us were not able to make it, and so that kind of left me in a pickle. My dad and step-mom were back home with friends, and my mom and step-dad were in the Upper Peninsula (‘The U.P., pronounced You-Pee, for any out-of-staters) visiting my grandparents.

So this year, I took a different approach than I usually do, and used the 4th of July for relaxing and cooking with my roommates. We had some communal time watching Arrested Development, played basketball, and then cooked fajitas, homemade salsa, homemade chips, and a trifle dessert together! It was awesome, and I am so thankful for the roommates I have.

So I wanted to share with you, straight from my step-mom’s recipe via text message, (texted for the convenience of grocery shopping) how to make Freedom Trifle. And here we are:

You need:

• The biggest bowl you can find – preferably clear to appreciate the fine detail of your red, white, and blue masterpiece
  • An angel food cake
  • 2 boxes of French Vanilla Instant Pudding
  • 2 regular size (or one 16 oz) containers of Cool Whip
  • 2 packages of blueberries
  • 2 packages of strawberries

Directions:

• “Make instant pudding (Let sit in the fridge) while you cut up all the strawberries
  • Mix pudding and cool whip together
  • Start layering pieces of cake (one layer)
  • Pudding/Cool Whip mixture (next layer)
  • Then strawberries and blueberries (third layer)
  • Then start with cake again”

“It looks really pretty in a clear glass bowl. Yummy!”

So there you have it folks, Independence Day joy in a bowl. I promise you it is addicting. I promise you there is far too much sugar. I also promise that you will make it again.

Now, I'm sure you have a better bowl to showcase your masterpiece than THIS college student does, but you get the idea!

Happy 4th of July!

With Bronco Love,

Jazz