Mother Michigan

Although Italy was more fun than I could ever possibly imagine, and I experienced more things than I could ever hope to believe I would ever experience, it’s nice to know that Mother Michigan is always waiting for me. She knew that when I was done with my Italian fun, I would come back to her loving pine scented embrace.

I must face the truth. No matter how much fun I had in Italy, no matter how many cheesy thin crust pizzas, and Carbonara noodle plates I had I knew that Italy was not my Michigan. I enjoyed the scenic beauty of Roma. I inhaled every moment that I could, and it was magical. Italy had so much to offer me. It was such a fantastical place of dreams come true, and never ending fun. But I knew in my heart that I was only a visitor, and that I would have to return to the states.

I didn’t think that I would miss Michigan as much as I did. In fact, I didn’t even realize that I missed her until I returned! I was thrilled that I no longer felt like a foreigner. I felt at home and at peace with my country on its warm soil.

Since I’ve been back, I have been indulging in simple pleasures like free refills and the ease of my car. I really appreciated the opportunity to see the way things are in other countries, but it was nice to come back to the sweet and familiar.

I will continue to travel the world in the future, always knowing that Michigan is where I am from, and where my heart will always truly belong.