Transfer resources for Southwestern Michigan College
Southwestern Michigan College and Western Michigan University have a long history of transfer partnership. Our goal is to help you maximize your time at SMC so that your transition to WMU is as smooth as possible. This page directs you to online resources and real people in admissions and advising that care about your questions and want to help you succeed.
Visits at Southwestern Michigan College
Admissions representatives visit SMC regularly to meet with students. Take advantage of these opportunities to connect with us while we are conveniently in your area.
If you have any questions, please call the Office of Admissions at (269) 387-2000.
Campus visits at WMU
Complete the application for admission, your online scholarship application, and request official transcripts to be sent to the Office of Admissions by the priority deadline of January 15, 2018 to be considered for these competitive scholarships:
Distinguished Community College Honors Award
Community College Scholars Award
Phi Theta Kappa Alumni Scholarship
WMU's Phi Theta Kappa Alumni chapter, Alpha of Michigan, invites you to join us for fun activities and volunteer opportunities that will positively shape your experience at WMU! The chapter strives to follow the four hallmarks: scholarship, leadership, fellowship and service. You can connect with us on Facebook or via email.
SMC Honors College partnership
Students graduating in good standing from the Southwestern Michigan College Honors Program with a 3.5 GPA will automatically be invited to join WMU's Lee Honors College. The Lee Honors College is home to more than 1,5000 high-achieving students who have access to:
- A wide variety of honors courses, typically capped at 20-25 students.
- Special programs, like our Study in the States courses, open only to honors students.
- The Lee Honors College Building--our LEED silver certified facility that includes honors advising offices, a library, classroom space and a full kitchen and lounge for students to relax, socialize and study.
- Nationally- and internationally-known expert faculty mentors who will work with students on their honors thesis, an original piece of research or creative activity.
- Honors housing, Peer Student Success Team, Lyceum Lecture series, national honor societies, scholarships and more!
Our transfer guides prepare SMC students for a number of specific majors at WMU. If your intended major is not listed, please connect with your WMU representative for further assistance.
- College of Arts and Sciences
- Criminal Justice
- Elementary Education
- Exercise Science
- Fashion Merchandising and Design
- Freshwater Science Sustainability
- Interdisciplinary Health Services
- Political Science
- Secondary Education: Biology
- Secondary Education: Chemistry
- Secondary Education: Earth Science
- Secondary Education: English
- Secondary Education: French
- Secondary Education: German
- Secondary Education: History
- Secondary Education: Integrated Science
- Secondary Education: Math
- Secondary Education: Physics
- Secondary Education: Political Science
- Secondary Education: Social Studies
- Secondary Education: Spanish
- Social Work
- Speech Pathology and Audiology
- Sport Management
- Sustainable Brewing
- University Studies