Military Credit

WMU Resources for veterans

Thank you for your service! WMU has a team of individuals ready to make your transition to campus smooth. Connect with these offices for any questions you may have.

Office of Admissions

Application process | Transcript submission | Transfer credits | Credit evaluations
Seibert Administration Building, 2nd floor
(269) 387-2000

Mailing address for transcripts: 1903 W Michigan Ave Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5211
Email address for transcripts:

Office of Military and Veterans Affairs

GI benefits | In-state tuition rate | Academic and career support | Transition assistance
Counseling and disability services | Vet success
1255 Ellsworth Hall
(269) 387-4444

Office of the Registrar

VA education benefits | Initiating benefits
Brenda Hamlyn - veterans affairs certifying official
Seibert Administration Building, 3rd floor 
(269) 387-4115

Military Transfer Credit checklist

Army, Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard

  • Apply online for admission to WMU.
  • Submit an official transcript from each college/university attended to Admissions (required prior to admission).
  • Submit your Joint Services Transcript (JST) to Admissions.
  • Submit your DD214 (discharge from active duty form) to Admissions.

Air Force

  • Apply online for admission to WMU.
  • Submit an official transcript from each college/university attended to Admissions (required prior to admission).
  • Submit your Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript, which lists all Air Force training, to Admissions. As an accredited college, the CCAF transcript is required of applicants prior to admission
  • Submit your DD214 (discharge from active duty form) to Admissions.

military block credit

Students who are military service members or veterans may receive a block of up to 15 credit hours of open elective credit towards a bachelor’s degree for training documented on the JST or CCAF transcript. Students must consult their college advising office before the end of their second semester at WMU to determine whether they are eligible for the block of credit hours. It is the student’s responsibility to initiate a request for the block credit in consultation with an advisor. Advisors are prepared to help students determine if it is to their advantage to accept this block credit or not based on degree requirements and benefit information. 

Block credit may be granted for military training documented on a Joint Services Transcript (JST) with ACE recommendations or for military training documented on a Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript. Credit recommendations on a JST designated as lower-level (L) will be counted as credit from a two-year institution and recommendations designated as upper-level (U) will be counted as credit from a four-year institution. All credit recommendations on a CCAF transcript will be counted as a two-year credit. The block of credit will count toward the total (122 minimum) credit hours required for graduation, but will not replace any specific course requirements in an academic program or general education. Credit awarded through the regular military evaluation process, found on the Admissions website, cannot be used for this block credit.

General Education Area VIII (Health and Well-Being) credit

Upon submitting the DD214 form, students who have completed a minimum of two years United States military service through active, reserve, or national guard duty will be deemed to have satisfied and will receive two credit hours for Area VIII Health and Well-Being of the General Education Program. Physical education credit awarded for basic training does not satisfy this requirement.

If less than two years of total service, including inactive service, are indicated on the DD214 submitted, then a letter from the staff sergeant in the guard or reserve unit verifying enlistment for at least two years must be presented before the above general education credit can be awarded.