M.A. in Art Education Admission
Application and Admission
Applicants will be notified of acceptance to the masters program in art education within two weeks of submitting a completed application.
Applicants will apply to the Western Michigan University Office of Graduate Admissions and Orientation, as well as to the Frostic School of Art Masters Program in Art Education.
Applicants must have:
- Completed a baccalaureate degree in art education or a related area
- Earned a 3.0 or higher undergraduate GPA
- Prior experience or demonstrated interest in art education
Teacher certification and art education endorsement are not offered through this program. A GRE exam is not required for application.
Application to the WMU Graduate College can be completed online, or by calling (269) 387-2000 to request an application.
Masters Program in Art Education Admission
Application to the Master of Arts Degree in Art Education program should be completed concurrently with the WMU graduate admissions application.
- To begin coursework in the fall semester, apply by Aug. 1.
- To begin coursework in the spring semester, apply by Dec. 1.
- To begin coursework in summer I or summer II sessions, apply by April 1.
Applicants will submit the following documents through the website frosticart.slideroom.com
- Resume featuring your educational background and professional experience as an artist, scholar, and educator.
- Statement of philosophy and professional goals (500–1,500 words) summarizing your educational philosophy, highlights of your academic and/or career experience, short-term and long-term professional goals, and how the Master of Arts in Art Education degree will assist you in achieving those goals. This statement will serve also as a demonstration of your communication skills and writing proficiency.
- Three letters of recommendation from persons acquainted with your previous academic program(s), scholastic ability and/or professional performance.
For questions about the application process, contact Megan Martin, Academic Advisor, at email@example.com or call (269) 387-2440.
For questions about the Master of Arts Degree in Art Education program, contact Dr. William Charland at firstname.lastname@example.org.