The College Discovery and Dissemination Award was conceived to:
- Increase the impact of discovery and dissemination, one of the six key objectives in the College of Arts and Sciences Strategic Plan.
- Support the development and promulgation of faculty research and creative activity projects, as well as teaching innovations
- Provide limited seed or continuation funding that can be combined with other sources to support faculty’s academic endeavors
- Funds are limited to $1000 per faculty member or department chair per year (i.e., in a 12-month period)
- Research and creative activity support may be provided for seed projects in preparation for external funding or in areas where no other sources of funding are available
- No more than $700 of the $1000 may be used toward travel expenses such as flight, hotel and meals
- Funds must be used in accordance with University procedures and for the purpose for which they were awarded
- All recipients must submit a brief final report that includes a summary of what was accomplished during the grant period and a description of what, if any, external grants, publications, presentations, or other scholarly/creative works resulted. Reports for fall awards are due by May 1; reports for spring awards are due by December 1.
- Preference will be given to quality proposals that have identified additional funding sources and that demonstrate consistency with the objectives and values of the College of Arts and Sciences Strategic Plan
- Priority will be given to the development of future projects over reimbursements for previous plans; requests solely for conference travel will be deemed lower priority
- Up to 20 awards of up to $1000 may be given to faculty in order to develop and promulgate faculty research and teaching innovations.
All awards are subject to final budgetary approval and authorization by the College of Arts and Sciences Dean’s Office.
Funds are not meant:
- For routine computer upgrading or the purchase of classroom equipment
- To supplant support from the department or the University's Faculty Research and Travel Fund
Feb. 1 and Sept. 30
This award will be offered for the deadlines listed as long as funds are available.
Faculty should make sure to submit the completed cover sheet and all required attachments to the College of Arts and Sciences Office of the Dean by the deadlines. Late submissions will not be considered.
College of Arts and Sciences Office of the Dean
2304 Friedmann Hall, Mail Stop 5308
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5308
If you submit your application electronically, emails from the WMU Webmail Plus account of a faculty member and department chair or director may serve in place of signatures.
Please do not hesitate to contact the College of Arts and Sciences Dean’s Office with any questions or concerns. We can be reached by phone or email using the following contact information: