The Western Michigan University College of Arts and Sciences Strategic Plan calls for creating awards to recognize faculty contributions to the themes and commitments in the plan, including contributions of the faculty to the disciplinary and interdisciplinary teaching, research, creative activity, university professional and community service goals of the college.
All current, continuing board-appointed persons with faculty rank are eligible. Faculty who have received Faculty Achievement Award are not eligible to receive a subsequent award in the same category within five years.
- An award of $1000 will be put in the departmental research account for the recipient to use in support of teaching, research or creative activity, travel, or professional development
- Each recipient may be invited to present a lecture, seminar, or lunch (brown bag) presentation to describe some aspect of teaching
- Each recipient will receive a plaque at a special celebration
- Up to three awards in each category may be made each year
Note: All awards are subject to final budgetary approval and authorization by the dean of the college.
This award will be offered for the deadline listed as long as funds are available.
- Faculty Achievement Award in Global Engagement
- Faculty Achievement Award in Professional and Community Service
- Faculty Achievement Award in Research and Creative Activity
- Faculty Achievement Award in Teaching
- Diversity and Inclusion Recognition Award
Dr. Mariam Konaté, Department of Gender and Women’s Studies
Dr. Timothy Ready, Department of Sociology and Director of Lewis Walker Institute
- Gender Scholar Award
Dr. Ann Miles, Department of Sociology
- Global Engagement
Dr. Sisay Asefa, Department of Economics
Dr. Nora Berrah, Department of Physics
Dr. Mercedes Tasende, Department of Spanish
- Professional and Community Service
Dr. Dwayne Channell, Department of Mathematics
Dr. Lisa DeChano-Cook, Department of Geography
Dr. Alan Kehew, Department of Geosciences
- Research and Creative Activity
Dr. Steven Lipkin, School of Communication
Dr. Susan Pozo, Department of Economics
Dr. Allen Webb, Department of English
Dr. Lynne Heasley, Environmental Studies Program and Department of History
Dr. Carla Koretsky, Department of Geosciences, Environmental Studies Program and Lee Honors College
Dr. Gwen Tarbox, Department of English