The Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities Award in the College of Arts and Sciences at Western Michigan University:
- Increases the opportunities for undergraduates to collaborate with faculty members in professional activities outside the classroom
- Provides undergraduate students with opportunities for hands-on research or creative activities experience with faculty from the College
- Recognizes and honors academic excellence and potential
- Provides opportunities for undergraduates to present research at academic conferences
The joint student-faculty projects represent the diversity of scholarly activity in the College. Projects have ranged from English editorial assistants to molecular biology research.
Undergraduate students will generally be expected to have:
- Completed at least 30 credit hours
- Declared a major or minor in a department or program within the College
- Good academic standing
The College of Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities support may not be held during the same term as a research and creative activities award administered by the Lee Honors College. Award recipients may request renewal for one additional term after providing a progress report for their project.
Up to 60 awards of up to $500 may be used by the students as a stipend or to defray the cost of the project. Work associated with the award may be conducted during the fall or spring semesters or either summer sessions. Recipients of the award must be enrolled during the future semester for which they are requesting funds. All awards are subject to final budgetary approval and authorization by the dean of the College.
Note: In addition to the College funding, projects can be sponsored by regional industry, government and hospitals.
Feb. 1 and Sept. 30
This support will be offered for the deadlines listed as long as funds are available.
All sections of both the student application and faculty portion form must be completed to be considered for the award.
College of Arts and Sciences Office of the Dean
2304 Friedmann Hall, Mail Stop 5308
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5308
Note: If you submit your application electronically, emails from the WMU Webmail Plus account of a faculty member and department chair or director may serve in place of signatures.