Whatever your major, there is a study abroad program suited for you!
Studying abroad through the College of Arts and Sciences at Western Michigan University is an experience that can greatly enhance your education by raising your geographical and cultural awareness and increasing your employability for businesses seeking new hires who can function effectively in our global economy.
The Association of American Colleges and Universities and the National Association of Colleges and Employers indicate this is an area in which 63 percent of new college graduates do not have adequate skills.
Find a program that works for you:
Additional program information
- World Languages
- Political science
Study abroad program advising with a study abroad specialist
- Contact a study abroad specialist.
I've been accepted to study abroad, now what?
College of Arts and Sciences students need to have study abroad courses pre-approved for use in your WMU degree.
- Obtain a blue course approval form from your study abroad advisor.
- Gather course descriptions for more courses than you anticipate registering for so you already have pre-approvals for back-up courses if you are not able to enroll in your preferred courses.
- If you wish to use a course for either a major or minor and in your general education, you need to have it evaluated by your major/minor advisor prior to visiting the CAS advising office for general education approval.
- If you find other courses that interest you upon arrival at your study abroad site, you may still have these courses approved. You will need to email the course descriptions to the appropriate advisor from your WMU email account to request the additional approvals. Please copy your study abroad advisor on this email.
- Schedule an appointment to meet with the appropriate advisor for course approvals. Take your blue course approval form to each of your advising appointments.
Prepare for your trip
- Study abroad: Funding, health and safety, pre-departure information and returning to campus