The Diversity and Inclusion Faculty and Staff Recognition Award recognizes the commitment of College of Arts and Sciences faculty and staff to diversity and inclusion at Western Michigan University.
All current, continuing board-appointed persons with faculty rank, and all college staff employees are eligible.
One award of $1000 will be given to a faculty member and one award of $1000 will be given to a staff member. Awardees will be invited to attend the college faculty and staff award ceremony during the spring semester.
- A substantial part of the record of achievement shall have been accomplished as a CAS staff or faculty member at Western Michigan University.
- The award will usually be based on an accumulated record of achievement in diversity and inclusion, rather than a single act of service, project or event.
- The faculty award will be based on an exemplary commitment to diversity and inclusion*, as expressed through research and creative activity; teaching, mentoring, or curriculum transformation; professional service; and/or a combination of achievements in these areas.
- The staff award will be based on exemplary service to diversity and inclusion, which may include service to the University, local community and beyond.
All awards are subject to final budgetary approval and authorization by the dean of the College.
*"Diversity at WMU encompasses inclusion, acceptance, respect, and empowerment. This means understanding that each individual is unique and that our commonalities and differences make the contributions we have to offer all the more valuable. Diversity includes the dimensions of race, ethnicity, and national and regional origins; sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation; socioeconomic status, age, physical attributes, and abilities; as well as religious, political, cultural, and intellectual ideologies and practices" (Diversity and Multiculturalism Action Plan).
This award will be offered for the deadline listed as long as funds are available.
Nominations should include:
A detailed statement from the nominator indicating the nominee’s accomplishments and how they relate to the selection criteria for this award.
Two brief supporting letters addressing the nominee, and how their accomplishments embody the selection criteria for this award.
- Nominee’s most recent resume or C.V.
- Any supporting documents which demonstrate the nominee’s dedication to diversity and inclusion as it is stated in the criteria for this award.
College of Arts and Sciences Office of the Dean
Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5308 USA
Drop off at 2304 Friedmann Hall
Email to email@example.com. If you submit your application electronically, emails from the WMU Webmail Plus account of a faculty member and department chair or director may serve in place of signatures.