The Department of Gender and Women's Studies at Western Michigan University was selected to receive the 2014 Bronco Pride Campus Advocacy Award for its outstanding contributions in the area of lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender and ally diversity and inclusion. This award recognizes a department, office, or registered student organization that has demonstrated exceptional leadership in the area of LBGTA-inclusion at WMU by advocating for and fostering a safe and welcoming environment for all people. The criteria for the Bronco Pride Campus Advocacy Award are:
- Demonstrates an enduring commitment to support and advocate for LBGTA individuals and LBGTA-initiatives on campus
- Welcomes all members of campus inclusive of sexual orientation and gender identity
- Provides leadership in the area of LBGTA-inclusion
- Strives to create organizational and/or institutional change that promotes LBGTA-inclusion
- Actively challenges structures that perpetuate institutional oppression for LBGTA people
- Shares Office of Diversity and Inclusion vision which encompasses inclusion, acceptance, respect, and empowerment
The department was recognized during the Lavender Graduation ceremony on Thursday, April 24.