These training materials were created for the Autism Center of Excellence at Western Michigan University.
Expert: Dr. Keith D. Allen is a professor of psychology and pediatrics at the Munroe-Meyer Institute and the University of Nebraska Medical Center. His interests include parent training, pain and stress-related disorders in children, developmental disabilities and management of common behavioral problems. He has published more than 100 scientific articles on interventions to address behavioral health problems in children and he has published a book on the science and practice of parent training. He has received research grant support from the National Institutes of Health, the U.S. Department of Education and the Department of Health and Human Services. He has been recognized at the University of Nebraska Medical Center as both a Distinguished Researcher and as an Outstanding Teacher of the Year.
"Behavioral Approaches to Preparing Children for Medical, Dental and Personal Care Appointments"
Entire video (1:18:35)
- Importance of appointment preparation for children with disabilities (1:22)
- Initial treatment and assessment questions (6:03)
- Escape extinction procedure (13:29)
- Comprehensive treatment model and possible barriers to treatment (15:32)
- Exposure process (34:08)
- Parent involvement in treatment (47:18)
- Individualizing treatment (1:00:32)
- Predominant fear-producing stimuli (1:01:25)
- Clinical demonstrations (1:04:30)