History

Who is G. W. Haworth? As one of just two named colleges at WMU, the Haworth College of Business and the Haworth family, owners of furniture giant Haworth Inc., teamed up to build a modern facility to house the college. Built in 1992, Schneider Hall is the official home of the Haworth College of Business. Haworth is a 1937 graduate of WMU. His son,, Dick Haworth, chairman emeritus of Haworth, Inc., is a 1966 graduate of the WMU College of Business.

1940s

  • Established in 1949 as the Department of Business Studies, the college has become a leader in business education and research.

1950s

  • In 1956, the department was designated as the school of business with two departments: accounting and general business.
  • In 1958, the Department of Business Education was established.

1960s

Photo of East Hall

Classes met in East Hall for many years before the college moved to its current home, Schneider Hall, in 1991.

Classes met in East Hall for many years before the college moved to its current home, Schneider Hall, in 1991.
  • The first Bachelor and Master of Business Administration degrees were granted in 1953 and 1961, respectively, starting a tradition of business education excellence.
  • In 1962 the Departments of Management and Marketing were founded.
  • The college established an MBA program in Grand Rapids in 1964.
  • The Master of Science in Accountancy program began offering courses.
Photo of administrative business course

1970 West Hall business education lab.

1970s

1980s

  • Accreditation for graduate programs was granted in 1981. Graduate and undergraduate programs have been reaccredited.
  • The college of business is renamed the Haworth College of Business after Haworth Inc. founder G. W. Haworth supports its capital campaign.

1990s

Photo of Schneider Hall

Schneider Hall, on WMU's campus, houses the Haworth College of Business.

  • In 1991, the college moved to its current building, Schneider Hall, named for the founding dean, Arnold Schneider.
  • The Integrated Supply Management program launched in 1992 as one of the first undergraduate business programs to incorporate engineering disciplines into its core curriculum.

Business Broncos have access to resources from the career center. Visit the career center website.

2000s

  • The addition of a dedicated career center provides additional support to business students by engaging them in career development experiences that help them to launch satisfying careers.
  • In 2009, the internationally known Food and Consumer Package Goods Marketing program celebrated its 50th year.

Founding dean, Arnold Schneider

Deans of the College

1947-74 Arnold Schneider
1974-92 Darrell Jones
1992-93 Lowell Crow-interim
1993-96 David Vellenga
1996-97 F. William McCarty - interim
1997-04 James Schmotter
2004-06 Ed Edwards - interim
2006-09 David Shields
2009-10 Ajay Samant- interim
2010-present Kay Palan