Dear Alumni and Friends,
These are just some of the concepts that we teach students as we prepare them to be leaders in business. Our goal is to enable our students to understand the globalization of business and the local issues inherent in any business venture or process and to prepare them to make sound business decisions in an increasingly complex, multicultural and nuanced business environment.
Our faculty and staff are deeply engaged in local and global communities in terms of research and service. They strive to be the best possible resources for our students, bringing relevant local and global examples to the classroom and co-curricular programming.
Here are just a few ways that we are growing our local and global reputation:
• Developing international partnerships, including an agreement with Guizhou University of Finance and Economics where students from China can earn a bachelor’s degree in accountancy in a dual-degree program through WMU and GUFE, with discussions of similar agreements pending for other disciplines;
• Hosting visiting scholars and encouraging our faculty to engage in research abroad or to partner with researchers from international universities;
• Providing consulting solutions for local companies through initiatives like our Bronco Force and Bronco Connect student-faculty consultancies;
• Engaging with the entrepreneurial community through the Starting Gate student business accelerator, the annual business pitch competition and our Entrepreneurship Forum speaker series;
• Starting two new summer camps for high school students in finance and entrepreneurship;
• Providing every business student who studies abroad with a scholarship from the college of business;
• Preparing our students to work in organizations of all scopes and sizes. Our current post-graduation success rate is 94%— well above average.
And our reputation grows each day through our talented and hard-working alumni who add immense value to local and global economies and initiatives, making us all extremely proud. Please take some time to read the stories about our incredible alumni in this edition. I am sure that you will recognize leadership traits in these alumni that you employ each day yourself as you pursue your personal best in business.
I hope this will provide a conversation starter between us. I invite you to contact my office at any time. It is only through collaboration, within our college, with other educators and with industry, that we become stronger and better at serving our students.
Dr. Satish P. Deshpande
Dean, Haworth College of Business