Benefits of hosting an extern
- Showcase the daily activities, challenges and requirements of your profession.
- Demonstrate how your profession aligns with a specific business major.
- Brand the organization by introducing students to your company culture.
- Build a pipeline to identify potential student candidates before your competitors.
- Develop your employees' mentoring, coaching, and leadership skills.
- Participate in a unique program that gives Haworth College of Business students a competitive advantage.
How to become involved in the program
- Host a student at your place of work by serving as an externship coordinator and/or professional mentor.
- Recommend an alum or friend of the college who might be interested in participating in the program.
Registration and planning
All employers register online. It is best to complete the registration all at once. To review the registration in advance, download the 2015 registration.
Employer registration for the 2015 Business Externship Program will begin on August 31.
Once you have registered, we recommend you begin planning for your externship. The externship planning guide includes sample agendas, activities and contact information for current employers who are willing to share their own experiences.
2014-15 Program timeline
|Monday, Aug. 25||Employer registration opens|
|Friday, Dec. 5||Employer registration closes|
|Monday, Feb. 9||Business Externship Program Showcase|
|Tuesday, Feb. 10||Go Live Day! — externship opportunities available for viewing by students|
|Thursday, March 5||Student applications due by 5 p.m.|
|March 6 to March 16||Matching process|
|Wednesday, March 18||Match Day! — students receive externhip match(es)|
|March 18 to 20||Enrollment period — students accept match(es), select workshop date and complete profile|
|Monday, March 30||Employer notification day — employers are notified of their match(es)|
|March 23 to April 3||Pre-externship professional development workshops|
|Wednesday, April 22||All externship date(s) must be scheduled|
|May 4 to May 23||3-week externship "Hot Spot"|
|September 8 to 24||Post-externship professional development workshops|
|October||Attend the Celebration Event — employer and extern networking event on campus|
Externship time frame
Most externships will take place during the "hot spot," the period immediately following the conclusion of spring semester at Western Michigan University, which is usually the first three weeks in May. If desired, professional mentors may select an alternate date.
Student application and selection process
- Pre-business students in the Haworth College of Business are eligible to participate. Generally, students are rising sophomores and juniors when they participate in the program.
- All externship postings will be released on Go Live Day! The externships will be compiled into a catalog available on this website and on BroncoJOBS, and in print around the college.
- Students have 3-4 weeks to research opportunities and select up to five externships.
- As part of the application process, students prepare a resume and application letter.
- Submission of an application does not guarantee a match.
Matching students with companies
- Matching is completed by career center professional staff.
- Students and mentors are matched based on three criteria: interest areas, career pathways and externship sites of interest.
- After students receive their match(es), they have a few days to enroll in the program. They may accept or decline an externship.
- Students who enroll in the program complete an extern profile to help professional mentors get to know them.
- The extern profile is sent to the professional mentor.
- Professional mentors are asked to provide a profile for their student externs.