Each externship will be different, but some of the possible activities include:
- Observation of day-to-day activities.
- Informational interviews with your professional mentor or other staff members.
- Attendance at business meetings or lunches.
- Limited assistance with day-to-day responsibilities.
- Short-term projects, depending on the length of the opportunity.
Length of externships
The length of each externship will be determined by your professional mentor. A typical externship will range in length from one to three days, but could be longer.
Most externships will occur during the "hot spot," the period immediately following the conclusion of spring semester, which is usually the first three weeks in May. Professional mentors may need to select a date outside of this hot spot and will arrange the date directly with a student.
- Students will be notified via email of a decision on Match Day!
- Once notified of a match, students will have one week to accept an externship match and select the date for attending the first required professional development workshop. Students will need to deliver their enrollment form to the career center in person during this one-week period.
- After delivering the enrollment form, students will receive instructions for completing an online extern profile that will be provided to their mentor.