Grant Information and Instruction Sheet
Timing and Deadline
Because funds are limited, proposals for events to occur within the
academic year should be submitted at the earliest possible date, and
be received at least SIX WEEKS prior to the date of the event. Because
the committee only meets when it has proposals to consider, there are
when a decision may not be possible until after the event takes place,
but this will not prevent CEC funding support. [Proposals for the next
or next academic year may be submitted at any time.]
Preparing an Application
A grant application needs to meet the guidelines and include the
materials and information listed below.
1. A description of the intended event (or series).
2. Biographic information on any guest(s) involved.
3. An acceptable budget outline (see below).
4. A brief description of the event’s most likely audience.
5. A brief description of how the event(s) will be promoted.
6. A completed Grant Proposal Summary Page and Grant Proposal
Page [available here].
Budget Guidelines and Requirements
1. An itemized list of anticipated expenses is required.
The list of expenses should include rental fees for facilities,
equipment rental, expenses for guest performers/coaches (travel,
lodging, meals, honoraria), event staff, advertising, printed programs,
2. A list of all possible funding sources is required. Each source
should be marked either “confirmed” or “requested.” Also include income
sources such as ticket sales, where such is known.
3. It is presumed that significant funding from the presenting unit
or organization will be included in the list of income sources. The
financial commitment must be demonstrated.
4. Before seeking a CEC grant, the presenting unit or organization
must also seek funds from other logical sources, such as academic
departments and colleges, and external sources, where available.
impresses the committee and will make the application more likely to
result in a favorable decision.
5. It is important to remember that the Cultural Events Committee is
a possible source of partial
funding (i.e., less than 50% of total event cost). It cannot be the
The maximum grant request for a single event or series is $2,000.00.
Sample Budget 1 (Department
Sample Budget 2 (Student
Organization Sponsored Event)
Submitting an Application
Completed applications should be returned in campus mail to Dr. Julie
– The Graduate College (mail stop 5242), or be delivered to the main
reception desk at
260W Walwood Hall. Applications can be submitted by email attachment to Dr. Nemire
if they are scanned to include signatures.
Last modified: 02-JUL-2010
Page maintained by Julie
University Cultural Events