Promoting the Elements of Excellence
Thinking about studying chemistry at Western Michigan University?
We offer a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs. Learn more about our programs and how to apply.
- June 2016—Dr. Gary Blackmer will be recognized for 18 years of service to WMU during a retirement reception from 2 to 4 pm Thursday, June 9, in 3880 Chemistry Building.
- April 2016—Dr. Steven Bertman was pivotal in developing the new sustainable brewing program in collaboration with KVCC. The program started in the fall semester of 2015; thirty students at Western Michigan University are already declared majors.
- February 2015—Dr. Sherine Obare was appointed Interim Associate Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.
- January 2015—Dr. Lydia Hines was re-elected as Councilor representing the Local Section to the American Chemical Society.
- September 2014—Dr. Megan Grunert, along with co-investigators Sue Stapleton (dean of the Graduate College), Jocelyn Steinke (School of Communication) and Renee Swartz (Georgia State University), was awarded a $1,246,037 grant from the National Science Foundation for her project entitled "Understanding URM STEM graduate students identity integration and assimilation into a community of practice."
- September 2014—Dr. Ramakrishna Guda received a $100,000 grant from the American Chemical Society for his project "Electron-Phonon Interactions in Atamically Monodispersed Gold Cluster/Graphene Oxide Nanocatalysts."
- June 2014—Dr. Gellert Mezei received a grant in the amount of $284,833 from the National Science Foundation entitled "Selective, high efficiency anion encapsulation by neutral nanojars."
- Winter 2014 newsletter