The Department of Chemistry was established as a separate unit in 1911 with Dr. William McCracken as the sole faculty member. The first science building (currently known as West Hall) was erected in 1915.
The M.A. program was formally approved in 1958, with the first degree granted in 1961. The Ph.D. program on the other hand was started in 1966. The Department is located in:
In a typical year: