Points of Pride
Recent accomplishments of our faculty and students include:
- Dr. Chad Edwards received a 2009 College of Arts & Sciences Teaching Excellence award and a 2009 WMU Distinguished Teaching award
- Dr. Jennifer Machiorlatti was honored with a WMU 2008 Emerging Scholar award
- Journalism as Practice: MacIntyre, Virtue Ethics and the Press by Dr. Sandra Borden won the prestigious national Clifford G. Christian Ethics Research award
- Dr. Steven Rhodes received the College of Arts and Sciences award for Service Excellence for 2008-2009
- Leadership: Theory and Practice, a top selling leadership book authored by Dr. Peter Northouse, entered its fifth edition in 2009
- Drs. Chad and Autumn Edwards launched a website promoting communication skills for children K-3 (www.kidscommunicating.org)
- Three WMU film students attended the Cannes International Film Festival as invited participants in Cannes summer programs. Another student was selected for a student program at the Sundance Film Festival
- In 2008-2009 a record seven undergraduate students received Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities awards to work with School of Communication faculty on various research and creative projects
- Three journalism students swept the Michigan Excellence In Journalism Competition for Student Web Site Feature Writing sponsored by the Detroit Press Club Foundation
- A journalism student and WMU football player, Phil Swanson, had an internship at the New York Times in summer 2009, blogging about college football
- Two graduate assistants won All-University honors for outstanding contributions to teaching and to research in 2008-2009
- A TIM major received the Top student paper award at the 2009 ITERA conference.
These are just a few of the many awards and activities that exemplify the excellence of School of Communication faculty and students.
We are also duly proud of the accomplishments of our many alumni (at this date a total of 5,000+ of you). Since 2004, five of our alumni have been recipients of Distinguished Alumni Achievement awards. In total, this visibility and recognition provides added value to the degree(s) you have earned from the School of Communication at WMU.