Undergraduate Communication Major

Undergraduate Communication Major

Communication Major

  • What are the differences between the majors in the School of communication?
    Communication Studies (COS)
    This major is designed for those students interested in exploring a broad, integrated program which includes work in several areas of the department. Interpersonal Communication (IPC) This ajor is excellent for students interested in social service careers, where knowledge and ability in interpersonal relationships is critical to success. You will learn interpersonal communication, communication theory, communication research, semanitcs, group communication, nonverbal communication, family communication, communication ethics, female/male interaction, health communication, attitude change, group problem solving, and public speaking.
    Journalism (JNL)
    This program provides students with a thorough background in news reporting and writing, journalism law and journalism ethics. You will learn communication theory, journalism research, feature and article writing, reviewing for the press, newspaper writing and reporting, reporting public affairs, copy and content editing, journalism ethics, electronic editing, telecommunication, broadcast journalism, literary journalism, literary interpretation, television criticism, mass communication and news, documentary in film and television.
    Organizational Communication (OCM)
    This major emphasizes preparation for working in a variety of public or private organizations in numerous roles, such as management, training or corporate communications. You will learn organizational theory, interpersonal theory, communication research, nonverbal communication leadership, public speaking, communication ethics, female/male interaction, intercultural communication, public relations, interviewing, and attitude change.
    Public Relations (PUR)
    This major offers an excellent intergraded approach of several academic disciplines in thes expanding field of public relations. You will learn public relations planning, public relations case studies, public affairs and news, media and social change, news writing, editing, feature writing, broadcast journalism, television production, graphic arts, web-page design, electronic publishing, organizational theory, group problem solving, attitude change, and leadership.
    Telecommunications and Information Management (TIM)
    This major combines the academic study of mass media with the technical application in ourt excellent studio production training facilities. You will take classes in telecommunications theory, telecommunications management, telecommunications law and policy, communication technology, broadcast sales, broadcast/cable programming, media and social change, news, public affairs and society, organizational theory, film industry, leadership, and group problem solving.
  • What should I know about declaring my major or minor?
    It is important that students declare their major or minor so that the School administration can more accurately plan course offerings. Some students think they have to complete all the major pre-reqs in order to declare their pre-com major. More students are waiting until they have all the pre-major courses completed before they move from University Curriculum or another department. Not only does it hinder administrative planning, but also hinders the students because they are not receiving correct curriculum or major advising.
    The sooner students are declared in the School of Communication, the sooner we can get them on the correct path to graduation, make sure they are working on a minor and make sure they are working on the correct curriculum requirements.
    If a student needs to declare a pre-major, they should visit undergraduate advisor's homepage and set up an appointment to see the advisor. The advisor will help them plan completing their major, give them minor options and refer them to the correct curriculum advising office.
    Below is specific information for declaring actual majors and minors.
    Please take a moment to officially declare your major. This saves time during your graduation audit, makes you eligible for scholarships and allows you access to more classes.
    You may access the on-line "declare your major ' or 'declare your minor'' forms by visiting the undergraduate advisor's website.
    Click on Communication majors on the menu and select your desired major/minor. Follow the prompts and submit your on-line major/minor application. You will receive your major/minor slip via ground mail within 3 weeks.
    Please remember you can declare either a communication major or minor, but not both.
  • What should I do if I can't get into a class because it is full?
    If you can't get into a class because it is full, the first thing you should do is continue to try to get in through the online or phone registration system. Many times, a class may be full during scheduling time, but spots open up as the beginning of the semester approaches. If you try this and still can't get in, then go see the communication advisor. Do not try to get in by talking to the professor of the class.
  • What should I know about late adding and withdrawal from a class?

    Late adding a class: Effective September 10, 08 late adding a course is between the faculty of record and the student. If a faculty member gives a student permission to late add a class, both the faculty member and the student will sign off on the completed "permission to late add" form which is located on the Registrar's website. The student is responsible for taking the form to the Registrar's Office and adding the class to their schedule. It is recommended that students promptly take their paperwork to the Registrar's Office and complete the transaction.

    The decision to late add a student to a course rests with the instructor as of September 10. The "add a course" box has been disabled on Banner. Departments can no longer add (or drop) students from classes.

    Late withdrawing from a class: We hope that a student doesn't have to drop a class, however, occasionally it is necessary to do so. Effective September 10 students may withdraw from classes on-line through GoWMU. Students should drop the class and then verify their schedule to make sure the class was properly dropped. If a student has difficulty with this process they should contact the Registrar's Office and someone from their staff will assist.

    If a student fails to drop a class and quits attending, an "X" is applied to their transcript, which indicates unofficial withdrawal. An "X" computes into the overall GPA with zero honor points, just like an E. If the overall GPA is low enough a student could face academic dismissal or academic probation.

    After the last official day to withdraw from a class, usually the Monday of the 10th week of classes, a student may request a late withdraw from their professor. A late withdraw from a class is permissible if a student is passing the course. If their professor agrees and signs the paperwork, a student should take the paperwork to the Registrar's Office and drop the course.

  • What electives should I take?

    If your communication major leaves room for electives, you should take classes that both interest you and will give you skills that can add to your major. By taking certain electives, you can develop an area of specialty, such as international communication, interpersonal communication, group communication, and many others.

    Selection of electives should be made in consultation with the undergraduate advisor.

  • What is enrollment priority?
    If you are a major with senior standing, you will be given an opportunity to enroll in courses you need before enrollment is open to all students.

School of Communication
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5318 USA
(269) 387-3130 | (269) 387-3990 Fax