Western Michigan University Department of Dance students attend class in the outstanding dance studios in the Dorothy U. Dalton Center.
- Three large studios and one medium studio are available for technique courses and rehearsals.
- Each is equipped with a piano, percussion instruments and sound playback units.
- A small studio is available for warm-up, solo and duet rehearsals.
- Sprung floors, covered with specialized vinyl dance flooring, help provide a safe environment for performance of challenging dance repertory in all studios.
Dance Studio B converts easily from a studio to a performance space and is used for many presentations throughout the year, both formal and informal. It also serves as a production lab where students learn lighting design for dance and experiment with projection and other dance technology. All production equipment is modern and performance grade. Lighting technology includes intelligent accessories and LED equipment.
Performances are also presented in:
Instructional and Auxilliary Spaces
Two classrooms, a conditioning room, student lounge, and faculty and department offices supplement the beautiful studios.
- The conditioning room is equipped with four Pilates reformers, an exercise mat, mirrors, anatomical charts and other equipment.
- Locker rooms are equipped with lockers for each dance major student with showers, makeup lights, hairdryers and restrooms.
- The Harper C. Maybee Music and Dance Library is also conveniently located in the Dalton Center.
For more information on our facilities or to request use of a facility, please contact the Supervisor of Dance Production at (269) 387-5875.