All students who wish to major in dance must attend an entrance audition day. Entrance auditions are scheduled three times a year. Students may also elect to audition for select scholarships at the October or November auditions. More information on these awards is available available on the scholarships page. Please review our admission page before scheduling an audition.
2014-15 audition dates
- Oct. 10, 2014: Entrance and scholarship auditions for prospective dance majors.
- Nov. 7, 2014: Entrance and scholarship auditions for prospective dance majors.
- Feb. 20, 2015: Entrance and limited scholarship availability for dance majors.
Please complete the audition reservation request form early since audition slots are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Reservations must be made no later than two weeks prior to desired audition date. We will confirm receipt of your application by email.
Prospective students from outside a 500-mile radius of Kalamazoo may elect to audition for admission via video. Videos must be received no later than March 1 for entrance the following fall semester. Please see our video audition requirements for more information.
Prospective dance minors do not audition, but may seek placement beyond the beginning level by:
- Enrolling in the beginning-level class and indicating to the instructor that you are a dance minor or on the dance minor waiting list. The instructor then places these students on the form provided and returns it to the dance academic advisor. The advisor keeps these forms on file for quite a few years so that when students on the waiting list are offered a space in the minor, those lists may be referenced to determine placement for those students.
- If you are already a dance minor you may contact the instructor of the Technique I course to arrange a day to come and take that level. The instructor of that course will inform the dance academic advisor if you have the skills and may register for Technique I level course. If the instructor approves you for the course without having to first take the beginning level course, you would need to see the advisor at or after your time to register in the WMU registration system as those are restricted enrollment classes.
Due to excessive enrollments, the department is currently placing prospective dance minors on a waiting list for entrance into the dance minor program. To be placed on the dance minor waiting list, please email your name, local phone number, date of birth and current email address to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be contacted by email when space is available for you to enroll in the dance minor program.
What do I do during auditions?
Those who wish to major in dance must take all auditions classes. Scholarship candidates must also write an essay at the audition and have a brief interview with a dance faculty member (October and November dates only). Those accepted musical theatre performance majors and those who desire a dance minor, may audition for advanced placement during the February audition, unless space becomes available in the October and November auditions. Please note the dance idioms (ballet, jazz and/or moder) for which you wish to audition on your reservation request form. If you audition, we encourage you to attend all classes.
What should I wear for classes?
Women: solid-colored leotard, tights with feet (preferably pink) and ballet slippers
Men: black tights and ballet slippers, with T-shirt
Solid-colored leotard and tights or unitard and jazz shoes (preferably with rubber soles). If you do not own jazz shoes, ballet slippers will suffice.
Solid-colored leotard and either no tights or tights without feet or unitard. The feet must be bare.
Parents or friends who come to audition day may not observe audition classes.
9 to 10 a.m.
Registration dance area, third floor Dalton Center (studios available for warm-ups)
10 to 11:15 a.m.
Ballet technique class (Studio A)
Question-and-answer session for parents with department Chair Jane Baas, admissions and housing staff, and student panel.
11:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
Jazz technique class (Studio A)
12:15 to 12:50 p.m.
Essay writing and interview for scholarship students only
Lunch on your own
2 to 3 p.m.
Modern technique class (Studio B)
3 to 3:15 p.m.
Improvisation (Studio B)
3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
Orchesis performance followed by question-and-answer session
Within two weeks of the audition, we will mail and send an email with your audition results. Those accepted into the program will be given their placement level in ballet, jazz and modern technique. You will also be notified of one of the following decisions:
- Accepted: You must notify us in writing via mail or email if you plan to accept your place in the dance major program. Spaces in the dance major are filled on a first-come, first-served basis from those accepted to the program. Once all available spaces are claimed, accepted students who still wish to attend will be placed on a waiting list in the order in which the department has been notified of desire to major. The department will notify all accepted students when all the dance major spots have been filled, and will then notify students on the waiting list in the event of a cancellation that enables them to major in dance at WMU.
- Not accepted: An indication that the department feels you will not be successful in the dance curriculum. You may not begin coursework as a dance major at this time. Feel free to audition again at a later date. You may audition for entrance into the dance program no more than three times.
The Department of Dance has designed the entrance audition process to focus solely on judging prospective students' potential to thrive and succeed in its dance curriculum. Because of that, the department has made a decision not to provide individual feedback to the approximately 150 students who audition each year.
Those applying for scholarships will also receive notification on their scholarship status.
If you have further questions, please call (269) 387-5830 or email email@example.com. Please leave your valid email address. We will only return messages via email.