Educational Technology Services
do I apply for a student job in ETS?
We will accept applications from students with work study at any time during the year.
We accept applications from students
who have a
Study Award. If you have received your Work Study Award Letter, please
complete the application and email to Scott Centilli at
or mail to:
Educational Technology Services
Mail Stop 5234
Western Michigan University
1903 W. Michigan
Kalamazoo, MI 49008
What does a Lab Monitor/Office Front Desk do?
This position staffs the computer labs in Sangren Hall (2510) or Kohrman Hall (2308 and 2314) and the front office desk of ETS (2102 Sangren Hall), providing quality service to all of CEHD’s customers!
Full attendance is expected from all employees. Hours of operation vary by semester but general fall/spring semester hours are as follows:
7:30 a.m. – 9 p.m. (Mon – Thurs)
7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. (Fri)
8 a.m. – 9 p.m. (Mon – Thurs)
8 a.m. – 5 p.m. (Fri)
9 a.m. – midnight (Mon – Thurs)
9 a.m. – 5 p.m. (Fri)
9 a.m. – 5 p.m. (Sat)
noon – midnight (Sun)
Employees are responsible for learning and completing the requirements below. The continuation of employment depends on satisfactory progress in their academic program of study and on improving job skills and satisfactory performance of their service duties.
Staffing computer labs
- Provide knowledgeable and friendly service to all users of the labs. This will require a solid background in the use of IBM platforms using Microsoft Office, Internet/Web and email. The Lab/Office Coordinator will provide training in these applications. Knowledge of all other applications is expected to develop over time and experience in ETS.
- Monitor the printer paper and toner levels.
- Provide computer software and hardware consultation.
- Maintain the labs (e.g., cleaning, reporting malfunction, stocking paper and supplies) on a daily and weekly basis.
- Check users in and out of the computer lab, by using the Check-in/Check-out (CICO) database. Consultants are responsible for ensuring that all users are authorized (e.g., current students, faculty, staff, or alumni association members).
- Ensure lab users go to their assigned computers and that they follow the lab policies and posted lab rules.
- A major part of the job is simply your presence in the labs. You should quickly walk through both labs at least every half hour to check that the labs are clean, supplies are stocked, and customers are appropriately using the lab.
- Assisting the Lab/Office Coordinator and the Network/Technical Students with projects and/or technical support.
- Support the operation of the computer labs with any and all other related issues as they arise.
Staffing front desk
- Provide knowledgeable and courteous service to office patrons. This will include opening and closing the office, answering the front desk phone, taking messages, transferring calls and following office policies and procedures.
- Monitor the printer paper and toner.
- Check lab keys in/out for classes as needed.
- Take ETS work orders for problems called in by CEHD faculty, staff and student employees.
- Check equipment in/out as needed to faculty, staff and students in CEHD.
- Provide checkout equipment consultation for both software and hardware use.
- Maintain the office (e.g., cleaning, stocking paper and supplies, ordering of supplies and moving of equipment) on a daily and weekly basis.
- Assisting Lab/Office Coordinator and Network/Technical GAs with projects and technical support.
- Support the operation of the ETS office with any and all other related issues as they arise.