Center for Excellence in Engineering Education
The College of Engineering and Applied Sciences has a strong and proud history of quality undergraduate education. The Center of Excellence in Engineering Education has been created to support the faculty’s work in improving student learning and is a symbol of the College’s commitment to excellence in teaching and learning.
Our vision is to become a nationally and internationally known center in promoting, enhancing, and disseminating excellence in engineering education through research and collaboration with the public and private sectors, and with other institutions of higher education.
Dr. Edmund Tsang
Director of the Center of Excellence in Engineering Education
- Identify, develop, and apply effective learning methodologies for engineering education.
- Identify, develop, and apply assessment tools to measure the effectiveness of engineering learning, particularly in the context of ABET 2000 criteria.
- Conduct research in engineering education and engineering practice in collaboration with other educational institutions, community resources, industrial partners, and funding agencies.
- Develop test sites which incorporate engineering education improvements, and disseminate effective teaching materials and practices developed through the ongoing work of the Center.
- There will be three focus areas of the Center: Research, Development, and Outreach. Outreach activities will include dissemination of the Center’s work, professional development, and K-12 and public outreach.
Some of the functions of the CEEE include:
- Lend support to faculty seeking external funding for projects that support the mission of the College. This goal will be accomplished by making available expertise that the faculty can drawn upon and by providing feedback to the proposal’s principal investigator and, when appropriate, a letter of support.
- Provide opportunities for collaboration among faculty inside and outside of Western Michigan University.
- Serve as a clearinghouse for resources such as workshops, journals, videos, etc. to enhance teaching and learning.
- Recognize excellence in engineering education by coordinating the nomination and selection of an annual teaching award sponsored by the Dean of the College.
Dr. Edmund Tsang
Dr. Betsy Aller
Dr. Massood Atashbar
Dr. Alamgir Choudhury
Dr. Azim Houshyar
Dr. Andrew Kline
Dr. Damon Miller
Paul D. FlemingIII
Frank L. Severance
Steven E. Butt
Tycho K. Fredericks
For more information about the Center of Excellence in Engineering Education, contact the Founding Director, Dr. Edmund Tsang.