Western Michigan University is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination for all persons and, towards that goal, has developed an Affirmative Action Program. The program is designed to ensure that whenever employment decisions and personnel actions are made, Western will make a determined effort to identify and include in all pools of candidates qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, Vietnam era veterans, and handicapped persons.
- It is the policy of the Affirmative Action Program to achieve a representative work force which reflects the diversity of the working population in the University’s labor market.
- It is the policy of the Affirmative Action Plan to determine proper diversity by analyzing all major job groups for required utilization.
- It is the policy of Western Michigan University to give special consideration to women, minorities, disabled veterans, Vietnam era veterans, and handicapped persons when underutilization exists.
- It is the policy of Western Michigan University to designate an affirmative action compliance officer who shall be responsible for maintaining the necessary programs, records, and reports to comply with all government regulations, including the maintenance and monitoring of policy procedures and objectives.
- It is the policy of Western Michigan University to hold all University personnel with hiring authority accountable to the principles, philosophy, and procedures of affirmative action by incorporating into the annual performance review the specific component of affirmative action.
It is a collective responsibility to achieve the objectives of affirmative action, and every member of the campus community is expected to share in the commitment of achieving the University’s stated goals.
Western Michigan University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity practices and education programs. Our firm commitment to the embodied principles means that all employees are afforded the equal opportunity for participation.
It is the policy of Western Michigan University to ensure equal opportunity for all training, promotions, transfers, and compensation. All decisions pertaining thereto will be based solely on merit and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, handicap, height, weight or marital status.