Master of Arts (MA)
Credits required: 60
- Marriage and family therapists will experience growth of 41 percent, which is much faster than average for all occupations through 2020.¹
- The number of Master's degrees conferred in the field of health professions and related clinical sciences increased by 53.8 percent between 1998-99 and 2008-09.²
1. Bureau of Labor Statistics
2. National Center for Education Statistics
Contemporary counseling for contemporary families
The foundation of global society is the family. Today, families often fall victim to the struggles of ordinary life in today's busy world. Counselors are often called upon to help families navigate the hazards that have so often proven problematic.
The Marriage, Couple and Family Counseling program at WMU offers students practical knowledge for dealing with these issues and more. The program, offered in collaboration with the Department of Family and Consumer Sciences, emphasizes an understanding of the issues faced by contemporary couples and families.
Why marriage, couple and family counseling (MA) at Western Michigan University
In addition to the core counseling courses, this 60-hour program emphasizes a family systems approach to the conceptualization and treatment of couples and families.
As for completing practicum hours as a graduate student, the Department of Counselor Education and Counseling Psychology provides two on-site clinics - one in Kalamazoo and one in Grand Rapids. Besides these clinics, WMU boasts extensive connections to area school counseling sites where students can complete their practicum.
Accreditations and licensure opportunities
- This option leads to licensure as a professional counselor.
- Working with an advisor, this option can also lead to licensure as a marriage and family therapist.
Who should apply
Anyone with a strong undergraduate academic career (3.0 or higher cumulative GPA) in psychology or a related field is encouraged to apply.
Graduates are prepared to work with individuals, couples and families in a variety of professional counseling settings. This option leads to licensure as a professional counselor. Working with an advisor, the option can also lead to licensure as a marriage and family therapist.
Employer tuition reimbursement
If your employer has a tuition reimbursement program, find out about WMU’s deferment program for employer paid tuition.
"Best bang for the buck"
Washington Monthly placed WMU on a list of national universities that offer "the best bang for the buck." WMU came in at No. 50 based on the economic value students receive per dollar.