Getting help doesn't have to be an ongoing battle. Veterans and transfer students can get the resources they need by visiting the Advocacy Office for Transfer Students & Military Affairs.


These programs benefit veterans of the armed forces and their dependents. Details vary by program.

Children of Veterans Tuition Grant

The Children of Veterans Tuition Grant was previously called Education of Children of Veterans, Public Act 245 of 1935 and was administered and funded by the Michigan Trust Fund. In 2005, CVTG was established under Public Act 248 to provide an undergraduate tuition program for children of certain deceased or disabled members of the armed forces of the United States.


The program is designed to provide undergraduate tuition assistance to certain children older than 16 and less than 26 years of age who have been Michigan residents for the 12 months prior to application. To be eligible, a student must be the natural or adopted child of a Michigan veteran. Stepchildren of the veteran are not eligible. The veteran must have been a legal resident of Michigan immediately before entering military service and must not have later resided outside of Michigan for more than two years; or the veteran must have established legal residency in Michigan after entering military service.

Students may receive scholarship assistance for up to four academic years for a total of up to $11,200. Awards are for an academic year with the amount determined by the student’s enrollment status. Full-time students can receive up to a maximum of $2,800 per academic year.
Student Scholarships and Grants 1-888-447-2678 or www.michigan.gov/ssg

Veterans Affairs Benefits


  • Veterans who have contributed to an education fund.
  • Survivors or dependents of a deceased or permanently and totally disabled veteran whose death or disability was service related.
  • Veterans with a disable rating granting them Vocational Rehab status.

For personal assistance contact the WMU Office of Military and Veterans Affairs.
Or to request an application, contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or call 1-800-827-1000.

Michigan National Guard State Tuition Assistance Program

The State Tuition Assistance Program provides tuition assistance of up to $4,500 per academic year to members of the Michigan National Guard. This is a repayment program and members whose 9/11 GI Bill pays 100% of tuition and fees do not qualify for this benefit.


The STAP is available to members of the Michigan National Guard who are active in the National Guard (including the traditional service of one weekend/month and two weeks/year, are not absent without leave or under UCMJ charges and meet the additional criteria established by the TAG consistent with the guard’s recruiting and retention requirements.
The STAP will provide assistance to students attending any public or private college, university, vocational school, technical school, or trade school located in Michigan.
The STAP will provide assistance to students in any course of study that is intended to culminate in vocational or technical training, a certificate, or the student’s first associate’s degree, bachelor’s degree or master’s degree.


Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (517) 481-7640 or michigan.gov/dmva


Students who are currently serving in the Army National Guard or Army Reserve may be eligible to pursue a commission as an officer while continuing their service in the Guard or Reserve through the Simultaneous Membership Program. Soldiers contracted in the SMP receive a monthly living stipend from ROTC and may be eligible for additional drill pay. SMP Cadets may also be eligible for full tuition ROTC Scholarships.  


For more information and to determine eligibility contact the Department of Military Science and Leadership at (269) 387-8122 or (800) 968-7682. You can also email at http://www.wmich.edu/rotc/contact

U. S. Army


The United States Army offers women and men a variety of educational assistance programs:

  • The Montgomery GI Bill is designed to help you pay for your college education.

Depending on how long you enlist with the Army and the job you choose, you can get over $60,000 to help pay for college. All you have to do is give $100 a month during your first year of service.

  • The Army Reserve offers a Selected Reserve Montgomery GI Bill for over $13,000. If you qualify for and accept a critical position in the Army Reserve, you can earn up to an additional $350 a month for 36 months with the GI Bill Kicker.
  • The Tuition Assistance Program pays $250 per credit hour up to $4,500 a year.
  • Soldiers who have served 90 or more days on active duty on or after Sept.11, 2001, are eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The bill provides up to 36 months of benefits for education at an institution of higher learning. Benefits of the program include tuition, fees, a monthly living allowance, books and supplies. Benefits can also be transferred to a spouse or dependent children.
  • The Army Reserve student loan repayment program is eligible for soldiers who enlist in the Army Reserves for six years.

Contact an Army recruiter for further information.

Visit related WMU sites

There is a lot more to see! Visit some of our friends at WMU to learn about academics, campus life and how you can be successful.

Student Financial Aid
1903 W Michigan Ave
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5337 USA
269 387-6000 finaid-info@wmich.edu