Work-study FAQ


How may I apply for work-study?
Each year, you should apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Be sure to indicate your preference for work-study on the FAFSA.  Monitor your progress using the financial aid checklist.

When should I apply?
Applications for the upcoming school year are accepted beginning January 1st of each year. As with many financial aid programs, work-study funding is limited, so you should apply as soon after January 1st as you are able.

Once I receive a work-study award, will I automatically receive one the following year?
No. You must reapply for financial aid each school year. Also, you must apply separately for Summer 1 and Summer 2 financial aid. The Summer 1 application will be available around February 15, each year, and the Summer 2 application will be available around April 1, each year.

Who qualifies for work-study?
Students are awarded college work-study based on criteria such as 1) demonstrated financial need, 2) previous work-study experience, and 3) work-study preference indicated on the FAFSA. Because work-study is a financial aid program, you must meet general eligiblity criteria, including Satisfactory Academic Progress. If you fail to maintain SAP, your work-study award may be canceled. See the SAP policy for more details.

How many hours may I work?
The amount of your work-study award, your hourly rate of pay, and the number of weeks you intend to work during the semester/session will be the primary determinants of the number of hours you may work each week. Click here for an online work-study calculator. WMU policy also places limits on the number of hours that a student may work. For more information about the University’s limits please see the WMU Student Work Hour Policy.

How is a work-study position different from other student positions?
Work-study positions differ from other student positions in the source of funds that pay the employee. You report to a job, and earn a paycheck in the same manner as other student positions. Additionally, wages earned through work-study are permitted a special exclusion in the earned income section of the student's following year’s FAFSA. (Contact a financial aid advisor for more information about this exclusion.)

What kinds of jobs are available in the work-study program?
Most on campus student positions are available to students who wish to earn their work-study awards. WMU also offers off-campus opportunities with community service agencies and local schools. Some students choose jobs in fields related to their major course of study. Others choose positions of personal interest that complement their educational experience. 

Where should I look for a job?
You may find a position by browsing Bronco Jobs online. You may also find unique opportunities by talking with campus staff, instructors and other students. For personal assistance with your job search, please contact Career and Student Employment Services, Room 1401 Ellsworth Hall, or call (269) 387-2725.

I may not be enrolled for Summer 1 or Summer 2 classes, but I would like to continue working my work-study job. Is that possible? 
No. WMU requires that a student maintain at least half-time enrollment during any term in which they are employed under the work-study program. Discuss your plans with your supervisor. They may offer other options that make it possible for you to continue working outside of the work-study program.

What if I don’t want to work?
If you do not wish to earn your work-study award, please cancel your award by completing the student financial aid adjustment form.  Other students may be waiting for funds to be released, and they will benefit from your early response.

Updated: 08/26/2014 8:14 AM

Visit related WMU sites

There is a lot more to see! Visit some of our friends at WMU to learn about academics, campus life and how you can be successful.

Student Financial Aid
1903 W Michigan Ave
Western Michigan University
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5337 USA
269 387-6000 finaid-info@wmich.edu