GreenLeaf trust Trading Room fall 2017 schedule
|11 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.||FIN3100||Open||FIN3100||Open||Open|
- Hours are subject to change.
- Closed Friday, November 17, from 1 to 3 p.m. and Tuesday, Nov 28, from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Closed November 22 through 24 for Thanksgiving break.
In the Greenleaf Trust Trading Room, Western Michigan University students experience stock prices scrolling across an electronic ticker, Bloomberg terminals providing real-time data on market movements and world news updates on large screens in the front of the room. The atmosphere of the trading room enables Haworth College of Business students to experience the fast pace of Wall Street while in Kalamazoo.
What do students learn?
- Experience hands-on learning, using the hardware and software commonly used by finance
- Analyze the latest stock quotes
- Build and test investment portfolios
- Compare currency exchange rates
- Scrutinize company fundamentals
“Employment in securities, commodity contracts, and other financial investments and related activities is expected to expand 25 percent by 2020. Growth will be driven by the wide range of financial assets available for trade, the number of baby boomers reaching retirement age and therefore seeking advice on retirement options, and the globalization of securities markets.”
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012–13 Edition
Greenleaf Trust Trading Room benefits
- Improves student readiness for careers in the financial sector
- Enriches classroom experiences for students
- Heightens analytical skills for students through trading simulations
- Expands job prospects for students
- Raises awareness of real-time business activity for all students, faculty, staff and visitors
- Creates a home for the Student Managed Investment Fund class, which manages a portfolio of WMU Foundation funds