The advisory council for the Department of Geosciences at Western Michigan University advises the department on formulating long-term educational plans and ensure that the academic programs meet today's industry needs. The council is the oldest active advisory council at Western Michigan University. The council members are distinguished industry and academic professionals in geosciences and business who have worked throughout the US and the world with a strong interest in helping strengthen and support geosciences at Western Michigan University. The council's tasks can be summarized as follows:
- Advises the department regarding curriculum changes so that it meets the current industry and employment trends.
- Assists in producing geosciences graduates that are well-prepared for employment and leadership roles.
- Provides guidance to students through informal meetings and events.
- Serves as an advocate of departmental needs and activities to the University Administration.
- Works with the University Office of Development and Alumni Relations on fundraising campaigns that support departmental activities.
The council includes the chair, vice chair, active members, honorary members and emeritus members.
- Jeff Hawkins, Chair
President - Envirologic. Inc
Phone: (269) 342-1100
- Richard Laton, Ph.D., Vice Chair
Professor of Hydrogeology- University of California at Fullerton
Phone: (657) 278-7514
Active council members
- Jerry Aiken
Independent Consultant in Industrial Minerals, rare earth's and precious metals
- Christopher Amore
Science teacher Grosse-Pointe High School
Phone: (586) 218-4331
- Paul Daniels
Partner Earth Resources Inc.
Phone: (269) 343-1181
- James J. Ferritto Jr.
Hydrogeologist at Michigan DEQ
Phone: (231) 775-2884
- Harold R. Fitch
Michigan State Geologist
Phone: (517) 284-6823
- John Fowler
Partner in Polaris Energy- Oil and Gas
Phone: (517) 787-5533
- Thomas C. Kamin
Independent Petroleum Production Geologist
Phone: (972) 874-5050
- Diana Morton-Thompson
Principal /Registered Professional Geologist at Earth Resources International, L.C.
Phone: (269) 343-1181
- Howard Nevins
President of Trey Exploration, Inc.
Phone: (812) 858-3146
- Sara Pearson
Michigan DEQ Remediation and Redevelopment
- Chris Roth
Field geologist at Bracken Engineering, Inc.
Phone: (727) 741-1794
- Bill and Kim Steinmann
Senior Project Manager/Hydrogeologist with Conestoga-Rovers & Associates, Inc.
Phone: (269) 806-4046
- Kevin Wilson, Ph.D.
Financial Adviser and Investor in Energy
Phone: (218) 728-8386
- Lloyd Schmaltz, Ph.D
Emiritus Professor of Geosciences at WMU
Phone: (269) 375-2346
- Thomas Straw, Ph.D
- Ibrahim A. Al-Jallah
- Ahmed Murad, Ph.D
- Thomas Drean
- Jim Farnsworth
- Mike Wireman