Western Michigan University offers programs intended as professional degrees for students continuing in a geosciences career:
For students who plan careers outside the geosciences, but whose work or specialty would benefit from an in-depth education in the geologic sciences:
How to apply
Graduate study applicants planning to start in the fall semester must submit all of the following required application materials by Feb. 15 to be considered for financial assistance.
- Submit an application (To evaluate a graduate admission file, we require copies of transcripts as noted in the university application.)
International students (either undergraduate or graduate) apply through the Office of International and Scholar Services.
Domestic students complete a graduate application through the graduate college. You will find an online application on this page as well as links to the graduate readmission application form and the graduate non-degree application form.
- Complete a department graduate studies application form online.
- Have three references fill out graduate reference forms to accompany their letters. Ask your recommenders to seal the form/letter in an envelope and initial the seal before they give it back to you or before they send it to:
Graduate Admissions Chair
Department of Geosciences
Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5241
or deliver to: 1187 Rood Hall
- Write a statement of purpose that describes: what field of study you are interested in pursuing as a graduate student, why you are interested in pursuing a graduate degree in geoscience, and what you would like to accomplish with an advanced degree.
- If you have official or unofficial scores, send them to us with your application materials. GRE scores are required prior to admission, except for M.A. degrees.