Western Michigan University
1903 W Michigan Ave
Kalamazoo MI 49008-5241 USA
- Ph.D., Physical Research Laboratory, Department of Space, Ahmedabad, 1984
- M.S., Utkal University, 1974
- B.S., Utkal University, 1970
- Stable isotopes
- Ground and surface water interactions
Dr. R.V. Krishnamurthy is professor of stable isotope geochemistry in the Department of Geosciences at Western Michigan University. His research emphases are stable isotopes, paleoclimates, carbon cycling in freshwater systems and geochemical fate of contaminants. Krishnamurthy leads a research team focusing on stable isotope research, emphasizing the use of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen isotopes to investigate a variety of environmental and geochemical problems. He supervises the Stable Isotope Laboratory at the Department of Geosciences. This group pioneered the application of hydrogen isotopes in sedimentary organic matter as a climate proxy and developed analytical techniques to extract dissolved organic carbon compounds in water samples for isotopic measurements as well as techniques for carbonate analysis.
- Machavaram, M. and Krishnamurthy, R.V., (1995), Earth Surface Evaporative processes: a case study from the Great Lakes region of the United States based on deuterium excess in precipitation. Geochimica Cos mochimica Acta, 59, 4279-4283.
- Cronin, J.R., Pizzarello, S., Epstein, S. and Krishnamurthy, R.V., (1993), Molecular and isotopic analysis of thehydroxy acids, dicarboxylic acids and hydroxydicarboxylic acids of the Murchison meteorite. Geochimica Cosmochimica Acta, 57, 4745-4752.
- Baskaran, M. and Krishnamurthy, R.V., (1993), The d13C in Cave deposits: a proxyindicator of the d13C of atmospheric CO2. Geophys Res. Lett. 20, 2905-2908.
- Feng, X., Krishnamurthy, R.V., and Epstein, S., (1993), Determination of D/H ratios of non-exchangeable hydrogen in cellulose:A method based on the cellulose-water exchange reaction. Geochimica Cosmochim Acta 57, 4249-4256.
- Magaritz, M., Krishnamurthy, R.V., and Holser, W.T., (1992), On the parallel trends in carbon isotopes of organic and inorganic carbon reservoirs across the Permian/Triassic boundary American Journal of Science 292, 727- 739.
- Krishnamurthy, R.V., Epstein, S., Pizzarello, S., and Cronin, J.R., (1992), Isotopic and Molecular Analyses of Hydrocarbons and Monocarboxylic Acids of the Murchison Meteorite. Geochimica Cosmochemica Acta, 56, 4045-4058.
- Epstein. S and Krishnamurthy, R.V., (1991), Environmental information from the isotopic record in trees. Phil Trans Royal Soc, London, A, 330, 427-439.
- Pizzarello, S., Krishnamurthy, R.V., Epstein, S., and Cronin, J.R., (1991), Isotopic analysis of amino acids from the Murchison meteorite. Geochimica Cosmochemica Acta, 55,905-910.
- Krishnamurthy, R.V., and Epstein, S., (1991), Isotopic composition of insoluble organic matter from cherts Geochimica Cosmochemica Acta, 55, 2985-2988.
- Tyburczy, J.A., Krishnamurthy, R.V., Epstein, S. and Ahrens,T.J., (1990), Fractionation of Serpentine: implications for planetary accretion,Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 98, 245-260.
- Krishnamurthy, R.V., (1990), Oxygen isotopes in the Arabian Sea. Nature 348, 118.
- Krishnamurthy, R.V., and Bhattacharya, S.K., (1989), Palaeo vegetational history in the Kashmir basin, India derived from 13C/12C ratio in palaeosols. Earth and Planetry Science Letters V 95,291-296.
- Epstein, S., Krishnamurthy, R.V., Cronin, J.R., Pizzarello, S., and G.V Yuen, (1987), Unusual isotopic compositions of H, N and C of amino acids and carboxylic acids from the Murchison meteorite, Nature.Vol.326, 477-479.
- Krishnamurthy, R.V., Bhattacharya, S.K., and Kusumgar, S., (1986), Palaeoclimatic changes deduced from 13C/12C and C/N ratios of the Karewa lake sediments, India, Nature 23, 150-152.
- Krishnamurthy,R.V., and Epstein, S., (1985), Tree ring D/H ratio from Kenya, East Africa and its paleoclimatic significance: Nature, 317,160-161.
- Krishnamurthy, R.V., DeNiro, M.J., and Pant, R.K., (1982), Isotope evidence for Pleistocene climatic changes in Kashmir, India: Nature, 298, 640-641.
- Krishnamurthy, R.V., and DeNiro, M.J., (1982), Sulfur interference in the determination of hydrogen concentration and stable isotopic composition in organic matter: Analytical Chemistry, v. 54, 153-154.