Western Michigan University is committed to providing its staff the opportunity to increase their global competency and engagement. Check this page regularly to learn about new opportunities, including a forthcoming study abroad opportunity for staff exchange via a WMU international partner.
Global Engagement Award
- The Global Engagement Award Committee is seeking nominations for the University's Global Engagement Award. This award will be for contributions to the global engagement of the university and to its students, faculty and staff; to our knowledge and understanding of global affairs; and/or to communities and stakeholders locally or abroad. The contributions can be in the realm of teaching and other instructional activities, research and creative activities, service, and/or outreach.
Information and nomination form.
Extending invitations to international visitors
- Invite international visitors to campus—protocols for WMU faculty and other employees seeking to invite international visitors to campus.
Activities and events with an international focus
- A listing of campus and community events that have an international theme or focus is maintained by WMU's Haenicke Institute for Global Education. The institute also provides WMU International Update, a weekly email that includes forthcoming events, announcements, and news related to international activity at the University. Information and subscribe.
International news and social media
Tune in to international news and social media channels and platforms to increase global competency.
- Follow non-mainstream news sources from other countries, including English-language news organizations.
- Set up a Twitter and other social media feeds from sources that cover or are located in other countries.
- Use maps to identify current event locations.
- Global Engagement Fund—offers co-funding for activities that enhance global engagement on campus, such as visiting scholar events, support for conferences or workshops at WMU, and other internationalization activities.
International travel information
- Resources and information for WMU employees traveling outside of the U.S. for business, teaching or research. Information.
Fulbright International Education Administrators Seminars
- The International Education Administrators (IEA) seminars help U.S. international education professionals and senior higher education officials create empowering connections with the societal, cultural and higher education systems of other countries. Information.